Report a product defect: veterinary medicines
Reporting a product defect
If a pharmaceutical company becomes aware of an issue or defect with one of their products or a batch of product they must report this to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD).
If the product or batch is likely to be recalled due to the defect you must contact the VMD to discuss the issue. Where appropriate give details of the level of recall e.g. wholesaler level, veterinary practice level.
What issues are classed as a product defect?
These would include:
- incorrect labelling (e.g. product strength, name of ingredients)
- misinformation or lack of information on the packaging or leaflets
- incorrect manufacture (e.g. strength of the ingredients or an issue with the container)
- contamination of any kind
- stability (e.g. expiry)
- counterfeit or deliberately tampered with product