Dangers of Blue-green Algae

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 12:21 pm

Blue-green algae is a term used to describe a group of bacteria known as cyanobacteria. It is not actually algae, but the organism got it name because it gives the appearance of algae, when it clumps together in bodies of water. Blue-green algae may not always be harmful but you cant tell by simply looking at it. So its best not to let your pets near the water.

When the algae blooms, it looks like a blue-green scum has appeared on the surface of the water. It sometimes looks a bit like pea soup. Blooms of blue green algae can produce
harmful toxins which stop a dog’s liver from functioning properly. Sadly, exposure to toxic blue-green algae is often fatal, and can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae contaminated water.

If your dog shows any signs after drinking from or swimming in water, contact your vet immediately and tell them you are concerned with blue-green algae: vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, weakness/collapsing/unconsciousness, disorientation/confusion, excessive drooling and breathing difficulties. There is no antidote for the toxins produced by the bacteria, but if caught early enough, your vet will try and get your pet sick to attempt to flush the toxins out before they take hold.