Veterinary Medicine Supply Problem: Isoflurane
Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:43 am
Due to ongoing UK supply problems with isoflurane-containing products, the VMD has recently assessed the following products for import under the Special Import Scheme:
- IsoFlo Vet 100% (Zoetis) from Germany
- IsoFlo 100% w/w vloeistof voor inhalatiedamp (Abbott Laboratories) from Germany
- Isoflo vapor liquid inhalant (Ecuphar) from Spain
- Isoflurin 1000mg/g inhalation vapor, liquid (VetPharma Animal Health S.L.) from Spain
- Aerrane liquid for inhalation (Baxter S.p.A) from Italy
- Isoflurane USP (Piramal Enterprises Limited) from the USA
- Isotroy (isoflurane IP) 250ml (Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd) from India
- Isoflurane USP liquid for inhalation (Piramal Enterprises Limited) from India
Veterinary surgeons can apply online for an import certificate for these products, or alternative products from outside the UK, via the VMD’s special imports online application system
Veterinary surgeons are reminded that every effort should be made to first obtain a UK authorised product, prior to utilising a product under the Prescribing Cascade.
For details of the supply situation for individual UK authorised products, please contact the Marketing Authorisation Holder or a Wholesale Dealer.
The following shortages of isoflurane-containing products have been reported to the VMD directly by the Marketing Authorisation Holder (MAH):
- IsoFlo100% w/w Inhalation Vapour, liquid (Vm: 42058/4195) – due to a manufacturing problem with the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API), Zoetis is out of stock of IsoFlo. Supply is estimated to return in January/February 2019.
- Vetflurane 1000mg/g inhalation vapour, liquid (Vm: 05653/4166) – due to a high demand for isoflurane products, Virbac is out of stock of Vetflurane. Supply is estimated to return in March 2019.