Posted: 20 December 2016 at 9:06 am
Christmas is a fun time for all including our furry family members. However, there are a number of hazards especially for our canine friends.
Firstly, a hazard on the increase – due to the push for people to give up smoking, is nicotine. While this addictive substance is found in cigarettes, it is in a low quantity. However, it is extremely concentrated in e-cigarettes and can easily kill a puppy.
Raisins and grapes are a danger the public may be less aware of and must never be given to pets.
Onions, any bulb vegetable or, indeed a flower bulb all pose a hazard.
Next up, chocolate. A variety box of chocolates left on the side is an easy target for canine companions, not to mention the chocolates hung on Christmas trees at close proximity to their noses.
Finally, with some family members nursing post-Christmas indulgence, ibuprofen may well be more available to both cats and dogs. This can be catastrophic when ingested by either species and needs to be kept well away.
Prevention is always better than cure and this is especially true of Christmas toxins. Owners should be mindful of how they store their food and where they place Christmas decorations. Unfortunately, some of our Christmas delights can be fatal for our pets.