Learning Disability Week 2016
Posted: 10 June 2016 at 8:42 am
This years theme is about friendships, people with a learning disability can find it difficult to make friends, and still often face isolation and exclusion from everyday activities.
You can support Learning Disability Week which runs from 20th – 26th June by getting involved in the following:
- Volunteer as a Mencap Sidekick – to help someone with a learning disability and support them to go out and do the things they love
- Find a Mencap local group in your area – contact them to see how you can support their work
- Tell Mencap your friendship stories and help raise awareness. Email email@example.com
- Start collecting photos of friendships to share with Mencap during the week
Mencap work with people with a learning disability to change laws, challenge prejudice and support them to live their lives as they choose.
Their work includes:
- providing high-quality, flexible services that allow people to live as independently as possible in a place they choose
- providing advice through their helplines and websites
- campaigning for the changes that people with a learning disability want
For more information on Learning Disability Week and Mencap visit their website.